This page is dedicated to saving Miami from the Zika Virus. Here we will advocate for awareness that repellant containing DEET is safe for pregnant women and children. We will also promote prevention and share reliable resources. Use hashtag #SaveMiami to show your support for this initiative while showing you are doing your part. All data presented here is supported by what you will find at www.CDC.gov/Zika.
It is in your hands to save Miami from Zika!
ZIKA IN MIAMI
The Zika virus can be transmitted by mosquitos, sexual contact, blood transfusion and other means. It has been rapidly spreading through the Americas in 2015/2016 (mostly fueled by mosquito-transmission). Zika virus infection is associated with catastrophic health consequences for a developing fetus.
Miami, Florida has become the first city in the United States to have documented mosquito-transmitted Zika virus. On Monday August 1st, 2016 the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) put out a press release issuing travel guidance to Wynwood, a Miami neighborhood where active Zika virus had been found to occur.
Public health groups in Miami and the United States now seek to raise awareness and promote activities to reduce the potential for Zika virus transmission. We all play a role in sharing information to help #SaveMiami from the Zika virus.
STAYING PROTECTED – DEET IS SAFE!
- DEET-containing repellant is approved for use in children with no age restriction
- DEET-containing repellant is approved for use in pregnant women
- DEET-containing repellant is approved for use in breastfeeding women
- United States Centers For Disease Control & Prevention – Zika Main Page
- Florida Department Of Health – Zika Main Page
- United States Environmental Protection Agency – DEET Information Page
- World Health Organization – Zika Main Page
- Pan American Health Organization – Zika Main Page
- European Centre For Disease Prevention And Control – Zika Main Page
PEOPLE IN ACTION TO SAVE MIAMI FROM ZIKA
Use the hash-tag #SaveMiami and show your support on social media!!!
I am Paola, a Tropical Medicine expert! I am wearing repellent. Do you?
This is Sammy, he is using mosquito repellent to protect Miami against Zika virus!
I am Tim, an Infectious Diseases pharmacist! I am wearing repellant. Do you?
This is Alexandra, she is a physician assistant! She uses repellant for herself and her daughter. Do you?